This guide describes how to update the SAP HANA platform and related components.
This guide gives you an overview of the activities you have to perform when you update SAP HANA SPS 11 to SAP HANA SPS 12. The goal of the update activities is that an SAP HANA landscape that has been updated to SAP HANA SPS 12 has a comparable state to a newly installed SAP HANA SPS 12 landscape. The update activities are split into the following areas:
- Performing an update
You perform an update on your SAP HANA system with the SAP HANA database lifecycle manager (HDBLCM).
- Updating dependent components
○ Updating the SAP HANA client You need to update the SAP HANA client installations that are not located on the SAP HANA system.
○ Updating the SAP HANA studio You need to update the SAP HANA studio installations that are not located on the SAP HANA system.
○ Updating the SAP HANA replication technologies components You need to update the replication technologies components that you are using in your SAP HANA landscape.
○ Updating BI clients using SAP HANA You need to update the BI clients that you are using in your SAP HANA landscape.
Before starting the update for the components in your SAP HANA landscape several prerequisites have to be fulfilled. Make sure you fulfill the following prerequisites:
- If you are performing an offlLne update, you have all the necessary installation files for the individual components.
- You have a valid, permanent SAP license for the SAP HANA database.
- You have user names and passwords for the following users:
○ adm user
○ sapadm user
○ S-user for the SAP Service Marketplace (SMP)
- You have carefully read the update instructions for the individual components.
- Plan to have a business downtime during the update process.
- For information about updating the SAP HANA options, see the documentation for SAP HANA options you are using.