Data volume management is a framework that helps the solution operations team of an SAP-centric solution to balance the need of business’ access to a wealth of data and IT efforts to monitor and control data growth and to minimize data volume.
As system landscape environments become more complex and data volumes continue on an upward trend, it is now more important than ever to be able to provide a landscape-based view of the data within your environment. It is necessary not only to be able to identify the source of your data but also to determine strategies for managing and controlling it.
Data Volume Management
This framework consists of best practices, tools, and SAP services along all stages of the data volume management lifecycle, from the initial identification of the challenges all the way through to continuous improvement. It also supports the deployment and operation of a data volume management strategy.
Data volume management covers concepts for data discovery (alerting, monitoring) and data profiling (analyzing), data management and data archiving for reduction of data volume size and growth (managing the information lifecycle) and efficient data storage utilization (database management, data aging) in accordance with legal requirements and corporate policies.
Data Volume Management Work Center
The Data Volume Management work center in SAP Solution Manager provides a detailed insight into the source of data volume movements in single and in multi-system landscape environments. This tool is based on SAP NetWeaver BW, which provides a holistic landscape-based overview of system data. SAP’s analytical and reporting infrastructure provides a rich array of functions and features, which enable you to do the following:
- Get transparency of system landscape data consumption at different levels.
- Reveal potential for creating or optimizing a data volume management strategy.
- Leverage best-practice documents to drive your data volume management strategy.
- Simulate different data volume scenarios (for example, moderate versus aggressive archiving).
- Provide monitoring and reporting capabilities for technical KPIs across a system landscape.
- Provide a compliance check of a corporate data volume management strategy.
Many customers use the Data Volume Managements tools and processes to manage & control their SAP Landscape data.